How much Protein, Carbs & Fats Do I Need to Build Muscle?
You ONLY need .64-to-.82 grams of protein per pound or
1.4-to-1.8 grams per kilogram because your muscles are made up of mostly
protein & water and you need protein to repair and rebuild your muscles into bigger and stronger ones.
- Eating more than .82 grams will not help you build muscle any faster (here's the proof) so the
claims made by
wanting you to spend more money stating you need 1-to-3 grams of protein per pound are
- No matter how much protein you take You Will Not Build Muscle UNLESS you're using
progressive overload trick
- Important! Read this: Forget about creatine, carbs, fats or
supplements because Protein is the only thing you can take that is going to actually build
muscle and even steroids work by helping your body use or synthesize more
Do you really need carbs & fats?
Carbs and fats aren't required to build muscle but you'll build muscle much
easier with them for these 4 reasons…
Some of the carbs you eat get stored in your muscles as glycogen as your muscles MAIN source of energy
for lifting heavier
weights, doing more reps, and/or sets so IF you don't eat enough carbs…
You may not have the energy you need to lift enough weight, do as many reps
and/or sets to build muscle so you may need to eat more carbs depending on your
Please Note: Not being able to lift heavier weights, do more reps and/or sets can also
be due to other factors like not getting enough rest between sets, not enough recovery time
between workouts, not drinking enough water and/or
lack of motivation
2. Your Muscles Will Look Bigger
Carbs actually make your muscles look bigger because they attract more water
into your muscles blowing them up like a balloon and as a matter of fact…
After water and muscle protein, muscle glycogen is one of the largest
contributors to muscle mass in your body so if you don't eat enough carbs then
your muscles wont look as big as they actually could.
3. Carbs Are a Poor Man's Creatine
(just like carbs did in #1) gives you more energy for
(just like carbs did in #2) makes your muscles look bigger by making your muscles
hold onto more water so just eat enough carbs if you can't afford Creatine
- You can get even more energy and make your muscles look
even bigger when you combine
At least 15% of your diet needs to be fat so your body can
naturally produce muscle building hormones like testosterone
So exactly how many carbs do you need?
Overall there is no magic number of carbs required to build muscle (the guys in this study built muscle & lost fat while on an almost ZERO carb diet) so it's best to
use trial & error to see what works best for you while following these basic guidelines…
- Eat More or Less Carbs depending on how you workout. The more intense your workouts are, the longer your
& the more often you workout = the more carbs you'll need.
- Eat More Carbs if you're moody, feeling irritable, sluggish or you feel you're not able to build muscle by not having the energy to lift heavier weights, do enough reps and/or sets to build muscle.
- Eat More Carbs along with drinking more water if your muscles look smaller, flat or deflated.
make your muscles
look bigger without lifting weights
- Eat Less Carbs if you want to
burn more fat while building muscle but over time this may make it tougher for you to gain muscle (see #1 here on this page for why) so you may want to cycle periods of low-carb and moderate-to-higher carb dieting.
- Eat Less Carbs if you have an
increase in cravings that may lead to weight gain but you should have very little or no cravings if your carbs come from
Use this tool to figure out exactly how many carbs, protein & fats you
using this tool…
- Make sure the protein ratio is equal to or
greater than the amount of protein you need to build
- Make sure fat is at least 15% of your diet.
Go here to see how many calories you need to build muscle without losing
Go here to see how many calories you need to build muscle & burn
fat at the same time.